MALUKA IAS Date: 26th November Sr. No. Topics Points to remember Why in news…??? 1. ATM
- In April, RBI issued a notification saying cash-in-transit companies involved in ATM replenishment services, cash pick-up and cash drops, should have a net worth of at least Rs 100 crore and a fleet of 300 vehicles, among other requirements. Also, in order to mitigate risks involved in open cash replenishment, RBI has told banks to use lockable cassettes (boxes in which currency notes of each denomination are stacked) in ATMs, which could then be simply swapped to replenish cash. Banks were told to replace open cash replenishment with cassette swaps in at least a third of the ATMs operated by them every year, so that the transition could be completed by March 31, 2021.
- On Wednesday, ATM (automated teller machine) service providers said changes in the regulatory landscape had made the business unviable, which could lead to 50% of the country’s 2.38 lakh cash machines shutting down by March next year. The Confederation of ATM Industry (CATMi), the Mumbai-based trade association of makers, operators, and outsourcers of cash machines, has said that the regulatory changes will make it impossible for ATM service providers to meet the cost of compliance. The ATM industry thinks there is no option but for banks to “step in to bear the load of the additional cost of compliances”.
- In August, the Home Ministry notified rules that said ATMs could not be replenished after 9 pm in cities, and cash vans could not carry more than Rs 5 crore on a single trip. The vehicles transporting cash should be equipped with security alarms with GSM-based auto-dialers, motorised sirens, tubeless tyres, etc, and have at least two security guards in them.
- The Narcondam hornbill, its habitat restricted to a lone island; the Nicobar megapode, a bird that builds nests on the ground; the Nicobar treeshrew, a small mole-like mammal; the Long-tailed Nicobar macaque, and the Andaman day gecko, are among the 1,067 endemic faunal species found only on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and nowhere else.
- A recent publication by the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) titled Faunal Diversity of Biogeographic Zones: Islands of India has for the first time come up with a database of all faunal species found on the island, putting the number at 11,009.
3. Nariman House
- This is the only memorial that honors all the victims of the attack. Even as the attack took place at many locations, we felt that it was one attack and the memorial should have all the names together.
- A waterfall monument inscribed with names of all the victims of 26/11 terror attack including the policemen and National Security Guards and plaques of the sites where the terrorists attacked, surrounded with lush green plants forms the rooftop memorial at the Nariman House, the Jewish center in Colaba. Rechristened as Nariman Light House, the memorial will be formally inaugurated on Monday, the tenth anniversary of the ghastly attacks on the city.
- 10th Anniversary of 26/11.