Date :- 13th September
Ranjit Sagar (Thein) Dam
- Thein Dam built on the Ravi on the border of the states Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir.
- Category 4, includes on the basis of wind speeds of 209-251 km/hr, is part of a scale used to classify hurricanes on the basis of wind speeds, called Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, this is different from the “T-scale” used in India to classify cyclonic storms.
- Hurricanes are essentially tropical cyclone that originated in the Atlantic basin, the Easter North Pacific Ocean and less frequently in the Central North Pacific.
- The inflation measured by the consumer price index (CPI) and released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme implementation.
Gross Enrollment Ratio
- GER is the ratio (expressed as percentage), of the total enrollment within a country in a specific level of education, regardless of age, to the population in the official age group corresponding to this level of education.
- For higher education, the survey calculates the ratio for the age groups 18 to 23 years. Internationally, the age group 18 to 22 is also used.
India State-level Disease Burden Initiative
- Indians have registered a 50% increase in the prevalence of ischemic heart disease and stroke over the period from 1990 to 2016, with the number of diabetes cases climbing from 26 million to 65 million.
- In the same period, the number of people ailing from chronic obstructive lung disease went up from 28 million to 55 million, according to the ‘India State-level Disease Burden Initiative’ report released.
- The report is a joint initiative of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, along with experts and stakeholders associated with over 100 Indian institutions.
New Procurement Policy for oilseeds, pulses and copra
- The Centre has announced a Rs. 15,053 crore scheme to ensure that farmers growing oilseeds, pulses and copra actually get the minimum support prices (MSP) they are promised for their crops every year.
- The umbrella policy — Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan (PM-AASHA) — was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs on Wednesday.
- According to an official statement, it clubs together an existing procurement scheme with newly introduced options — meant for oilseeds only — of additional procurement by private traders or a cash payment scheme.
Dr. R. K. Arya
- A central expert committee that will decide compensation case for J and J implant case.