||Date: 08th October 2018
|The Ganga Task Force
- The Ganga Task Force (GTF), specially trained by the Ministry of Defence will help with crowd management, spread awareness on keeping the river clean and stop people and industry from polluting the river.
- The GTF is a unit of the Territorial Army deployed in the services of the Ganga with the approval of Ministry of Defence for four years till December 2020.
- It consists of three companies of over 100 men each to be stationed at Kanpur, Allahabad and Varanasi, with the battalion headquarters at Allahabad.
- Their functions will include planting trees to check soil erosion, patrolling sensitive river areas for biodiversity protection, patrolling ghats, monitoring river pollution, and assisting during floods/natural calamity in the region.
- The jawans have also been trained by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) to measure the health of the river.
|Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) would have released a keenly awaited “special report” on the actions the world needs to take to prevent global average temperatures from rising beyond 1.5°C as compared to pre-industrial times.
- The report, which will have a major bearing on how the world tackles climate change from here on, comes at the end of the ongoing weeklong session of the IPCC, a global body that periodically reviews scientific literature to make projections about the Earth’s future climate.
- The report was requested by the countries that gathered to finalise the Paris Agreement in 2015.
- Net-zero is achieved when the total emissions is balanced by the amount of absorption of carbon dioxide through natural sinks like forests, or removal of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere through technological interventions.
|State Investment Potential Index (N-SIPI)
- The National Council of Applied Economic Research designed an index in 2016 using six metrics—land, labour, infrastructure, economic climate, political stability and governance.
- This was intended to give a granular picture of the investment climate.
- This state investment potential index (N-SIPI) incorporated the perceptions of entrepreneurs, based on survey of industrial units.